Gum recession is an uncomfortable and hazardous oral health issue that can affect the appearance of your smile and reduce its quality. We encourage you to take steps now to prevent gum recession and keep your smile healthy:
– Practice effective oral hygiene by brushing twice a day and flossing around each tooth and your gum line daily.
– Use a soft-bristled toothbrush so that the bristles can provide a deep yet gentle cleaning for your teeth and remove deposits from your gums. Be sure to avoid brushing too vigorously.
– Schedule a professional dental exam and cleaning every six months. The services provided by your dentist are highly effective in removing plaque and tartar that could otherwise irritate your gums.
– Seek orthodontic treatment if you need to correct a crooked smile.
– Seek treatment such as an oral night guard if you know you have a habit of grinding your teeth while you sleep.
– Cease smoking or chewing any tobacco.
– Maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
– Monitor your oral health for any changes and report these to a dental professional.
If you have noticed any signs of receding gums, we encourage you to contact David A. Browne, DDS, PC at 815-344-6811 today and schedule a consultation with our doctor, Dr. David A. Browne. We are committed to helping you prevent gum recession in McHenry, Illinois!